• slide
  • slide
  • slide

Record year for Rogers Behavioral Health brings plans for employee gain sharing

09/13/17 02:04:pm

FY17 concluded with strong performance in several areas including a record number of patient days of service.  Based on system performance on the metrics below, the Board of Directors has approved a gain sharing payout for eligible employees who meet the requirements of the gain sharing policy. This will take place in early November. See our success by key metrics below.

Measuring Clinical Effectiveness



CGI = Clinician-rated assessment of patient severity upon admission and assessment of improvement at time of discharge.

  • Since Rogers Behavioral Health started using the Clinical Global Impressions Scale (CGI) in February, we have collected ratings for 4,573 patients. This is a baseline year.

  • 70.50% of our patients were “much improved” or “very much improved” by the end of their treatment, as rated by the attending psychologist or psychiatrist.

The CGI is an assessment made by providers upon a patient’s discharge to indicate what level of improvement the person made during treatment.

The process has been improved long the way to better match the workflow of our providers with the goal of collecting the CGI assessments more regularly. Most important, the Rogers system will now have a better understanding of our patients’ severity when they are admitted to our programs.

This simple, valid measure allows us to understand the quality of our programs at a global perspective. Additionally, the severity rating upon admission will allow us to place our patients in programs that will be best for them and start treatment with defined plans of care that will be most effective for each individual.

The CGI continues to demonstrate that Rogers’ treatments are extremely effective in helping patients get better, which is valuable for patients, families, and payers,” remarks Brian Kay, director, quality and clinical effectiveness.

Patient Days of Service:

Patient Days graphic.png

235,212 days including inpatient, residential and outpatient

Target = 235,885 days | Fiscal year 2016 = 208,967 days

13% growth in patient days (26,500 more days)

Highest annual total in Rogers’ history

70% of the increase attributable to outpatient Services; remaining 30% split between inpatient and residential services 

FY 2017 Financial performance

Financial performance graphic.png

Revenue minus expenses fiscal year 2017 = $24 million

Target = $26.4 million | Fiscal year 2016 = $25.8 million

  • Net revenue beat budget by $11.4 million but was outpaced by $13.8 million in higher expenses.  Result: $2.4 million under target. 

  • Favorable net revenue was a result of a stronger payor mix and higher collections against plan. Unfavorable expense variance was driven by higher salaries and purchased services.

Patient Satisfaction: Press Ganey surveys Fiscal Year 2017

  • Inpatient and Residential: 4,119 surveys
    • 84.9% gave a good or very good likelihood of recommending Rogers (85.2% database mean; 42nd percentile)
    • Up from 83.6% good or very good and 40th percentile in     FY 2016
  • Outpatient: 2,517 surveys
    • 92.6% gave a good or very good likelihood of recommending Rogers (92% database mean; 49th percentile)
    • Up from 90.6% good or very good and 36th percentile in FY 2016

Employee engagement: Measured by results on the employee satisfaction survey (average of seven survey questions on satisfaction, pride, and commitment to the job and organization). Rogers’ target is to improve the employee engagement composite score by at least 3% to 78 on our 2017 survey. Last year’s score was 75.7.Employee survey.png

Posted in

Related articles